My highlight of the day came out a Holmes Lake. I was wearing a race shirt from a St. Patricks Day race this year that had "100% Irish" written across the front. The spectators gave me a lot of support (Go Irish!) along the way. Anyway, out at Holmes Lake there was a woman playing a trumpet to motivate the runners. When she saw me come by, she began a rendition of "When Irish Eyes Are Shining". It was pretty cool.
![]() |
| (click for larger view) |
I spoke with Barb and got her story…
I think I started attending the Lincoln Marathon around 2003 or 2004. My husband’s cousin Dan was running, so we went to cheer for him. I was totally amazed by what I saw – incredibly dedicated people doing what seemed impossible to me! My hands were raw from clapping, and my voice was almost gone from yelling, and I thought an instrument might be a better way to help encourage the runners. I am a professional trumpet player, so it seemed natural that I would bring it the next time.
Holmes Lake was just the right place – I wouldn’t be bothering too many neighbors and where I would stand would be one of the more difficult points in the race. I put up my “request a song” sign, and the rest is history! Sometimes people have a song in mind the first time they come by, and others think of one as they go around the loop and come by the second time. It’s great to see the runners twice, and we try to remember their song the second time too.
(to be continued)

No comments:
Post a Comment